Homeless & Foster Youth
McKinney vento act
McKinney vento act
The McKinney-Vento Act defines homeless children and youth as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. This definition also includes:
- Children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason.
- Children and youth who may be living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, shelters
- Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
- Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings, or
- Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are children who are living in similar circumstances listed above
Foster youth, foster child, or student in foster care means any of the following: (Education Code 42238.01, 48853.5)
- A child who is the subject of a petition filed pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code 300, whether or not the child has been removed fro the child's home by the juvenile court pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code 319 or 361.
- A child who is the subject of a petition filed pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code 602, has been removed from the child's home by the juvenile court pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code 727, and is in foster care as defined by Welfare and Institutions Code 727.4(d).
- A nonminor who is under the transition jurisdiction of a juvenile court, as described in Welfare and Institutions Code 450, and satisfies the criteria specified in Education Code 42238.01.
- A dependent child of the court of an Indian tribe, consortium of tribes, or tribal organization who is the subject of a petition filed in the tribal court pursuant to the court's jurisdiction in accordance with the tribe's law
- A child who is the subject of a voluntary placement agreement, as defined in Welfare and Institutions Code 11400
- After School Program
- Bilingual Support
- Business Services
- Educational Services
- Employee Information
- Health Services
- Human Resources
- Maintenance, Operations & Transportation
- Student Nutrition
- Technology Support